10.08.2012

Sunray Funday


Saturday was Sunray Funday. What exactly is Sunray Funday? I don't really know. What I do know is that they have a parade and BBQ. It reminded me of Canyon's Fair on the Square...but a lot smaller.

We left the house a little early to hit up some garage sales on the way out of town. I haven't been to garage sales with Grandma & Papa since I was a kid! At the first house I found two milk jugs that I had to have. And? A cart that reminded me of the one that A Beautiful Mess fixed up! Sweet!

We had time for one more. And I found these:

I.died. I love the nurse one. the color, the pictures! USA!USA!

We got to Sunray and found a sweet spot (literally) in Dairy Queen's parking lot. There were kids on either side of us, so I knew it would be kinda tricky to get some candy. I lucked out and got my hands on a few pieces...while Papa was picking it up and giving it to the kid by us. Uh, whose team are you on?

As the marching band approached I had my camera ready to capture Marshall. This was the first time I've seen him march. I may have shed a tear or two. He's just so grown up and I'm so proud of him. I snapped as many pictures as I could. I even considered running down the block to get more, but I didn't want to embarrass him.



We found Marsh after the parade and headed to grab some BBQ. The chopped brisket was pretty good, just a little spicy for my liking. The church had free watermelon. Marsh and I hit that booth up twice. I don't like watermelon, so the first time I got a piece for Grandma. The second time I got two slices, one for Papa and one for Marsh because that kid loves it. We had even discussed just grabbing a whole watermelon and running. But I figured it's probably not good to steal from a church.

Grandma, Marshall, & Papa


An added bonus? It was kind of hot outside, and even in direct sunlight I was barley sweating! If this had been in Houston? I would have had sweat running down my back and legs. It was nice to be in less hellish weather conditions again.

We walked around the booths, got some homemade ice cream, Marshall was called Justin Bieber 3 times, then we all went back to Dalhart.

That afternoon I hit up the local grocery with Grandma to prep for the cookout. I had this genius plan of getting the caramel filled Ghirardelli bars for the s'mores...until I realized that we were in a small town and they don't have them. I was in shock. Gma and I searched the shelves a few times in hopes of finding them. No luck. I almost bought some when I was in Houston, but figured 1. I would eat them all before I got to Dalhart, and 2. Dalhart will have them, so it'll be fine. Yeah, bad call Jes.
Marsh, Dad, and Me.
When I got home Marsh and I headed over to Dad's house for a bit before the cookout. Dad showed me disc golf videos and techniques. Now I see where I get my obsessive side from. Marsh & Cameron (step-brother) watched Batman things. And Cam even put on his batman mask! He's leaving for college and I suggested that he have the full suit on when his roommate shows up. It's important to make a good impression.
Cam pretending to sunbath as Batman and Marshall.

That evening Joann & Jarrett came over for a cookout at Grandma's house!

I love nothing more than roasting marshmallows in grandma's cauldron. Ok, It's not really called that, but that's what it makes me think of.







We also had hot dogs so it wasn't only a sugar fest!

Andrew, Marshall, an I used to spend a lot of weekend at Grandma's house! It was the best place to be! She always made the best dinners, had our favorite snacks, had tons of great things for us to play with, and let us roast s'mores! I'm glad that's something that we can still do every now and then.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8.10.12

    I wish I could have been there to see you. Are you going to make it for Thanksgiving? We are planning to (fingers crossed)
    I love you,
    Aunt Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been good to have you there! I'm skipping Thanksgiving this year, but I'll be home for about a week at Christmas!

      Delete