9.25.2012

There's No Place Like Home

After 8 long months I finally returned home!

I have the worst habit about not packing until after midnight when I have an early flight to catch. What the heck? I finally got to bed around 1 and was up at 5:30 to get ready and head to the airport.

I was so excited that I got a little choked up when I was boarding my flight. I ended up sleeping through most of my flight. Shocking since I got a whole 4.5 hours of sleep the night before.
Everything is flat.

Home. Well...close enough. Palo Duro Canyon.
Grandma, Papa, & Marshall were waiting for me at the airport! I didn't think they'd be able to get Marshall to come, so that was a nice surprise. Marsh even offered to carry my suitcase. What a gentleman. (Turns out the grandparents instructed him on this). I was hungry because it had been hours since I had breakfast. So we headed over to my beloved Donut Stop. It was about 11a, so they weren't warm anymore, but they were still delicious! I got 2 cherry donuts and a dozen donut holes. I can tell I'm getting older because I get sick from the sweetness if I eat more than this. And yes, I'm aware of how terrible this breakfast is for me, but it's not like I eat like this all the time!
Hello, lover.
After I took my first bite, I pulled my donut near and whispered "I love you so much." Marsh heard and gave me the craziest look.

Sam, Mom's husband*, had been in the hospital all week so we headed over to see them. I didn't mind spending the afternoon at the hospital because my only plans were to hang out at grandma's house, watch Hallmark movies, and eat cheese & crackers...but I was tired. I was almost willing to check myself into the hospital so I could get a bed and some sleep!
*Just so we are clear: I call him my Mom's husband because that's what he is. They've been married over a year, and I haven't lived at home in 8, so he obviously didn't play a big role in my life. I just didn't want anyone to think it was rude that I didn't call him 'step dad' or anything.
After we got the result that Sam had survived his quick surgery Mom dismissed us. Yessss! I fly into Amarillo, but my family lives a little farther up in the panhandle, so we still had about an hour and a half (at least) before I was at Grandma & Papa's house. My mom was staying with Sam in the hospital a few more days while he recovered...that's partly how I ended up with G&P.

On our way to Dalhart we stopped in Sunray to drop off Marsh & get him food before marching band practice. He's our little drummer boy! It was 5p, so I was starting to get hungry so Grandma called La Espanol to see if they had tamales that day. They did, so we went straight there! This was always one of my fave places to eat growing up. I honestly don't know if everything is good here because all I ever get are the tamales. Even though I always come to Dalhart, it had been years since I'd gone to La Espanol. So, if you ever find yourself in Dalhart, Texas, you must eat here! They were better than I had remembered. It felt so good to be home. One thing I love about small towns is that my grandparents know everyone. They literally ended up talking to everyone at the tables on our side of the room. But don't get it twisted - I'm not trading in the city for the country anytime soon.

When we got to Grandma's house I promptly found the King Sized Reese's that's now meant for Marshall. I was about to tear into it when Grandma told me to look in the bottom draw of the fridge. OMG! Secret Reese's stash!

*Side story: growing up I loved Reese's. Every Tuesday after Papa picked me up from piano lessons he would make me chocolate milk & give me a Reese's. What a charmed life I once had. But then Marshall came along and kind of jacked it from me. I love him anyway.

I had planned on calling up Dad to hang out, but instead passed out on the couch from 6-9. I sure know how to get crazy on vacation! When I woke up I joined G&P downstairs for some Hallmark movies. I think I feel asleep again within the hour. I wish I could blame it on jet lag...but I was in the same time zone.

I found my room upstairs and called it a night.

4 comments:

  1. Yahooo for family, food, and trips back home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And I def appreciate it even more since I don't do it often.

      Delete