6.29.2012

"You Want A Husband So Bad."

Oh Henry.

You don't even realize how fortunate you are that I have learned control over my words so I don't verbally assault you when you say things like this to me. The sentence doesn't really sound bad, it's more of how you say it all condescending like. But I let it slide because I don't think you realize how rude you are being. And I can't be bothered to raise you right.

Anyway, Yes. I want a husband. Is that a bad thing?  I don't want to get married just to be married, but I want to be married to someone that I love and want to grow a life and family with.

I'm 25. So this is not a crazy age to be getting married at. Kara told me that I should move to Seattle with her because she has tons of unmarried friends, and everyone tends to get married when they are older so then I won't feel pressured to be married.

Although I appreciate Kara's suggestion, I must say that I don't feel pressured to be married. My mom never says anything other than it'll happen when it should and not to settle. Then she throws in the bit about how she waited 20 years (or something like that) to find Sam. Nice sentiment since she's so happy, but I don't really want to wait another 20 years...I think I cried the first time she told me that as motivation. And although she never says anything I do feel that she would probably appreciate grandkids. But married or not, I'm not quite ready for the kid part anyway.

My dad is more than supportive of my lack of marriage and prospects. He tells me that I'm young and don't need to worry about even dating until I'm well into my 30s. I think not having to pay for a wedding might be what motivates his view. If he wants to make me a stay at home daughter, pay for my bills, and give me allowance, then I'd be more than happy to never marry and move in with him!

Henry has made a few comments about me and marriage. The first one that actually made me call my mom crying was "You are so desperate to be married."

I was so caught off guard by it that I didn't even say anything back. Knowing what I do about him, I really don't think he realizes how offensive his word choice was, so I didn't hold it against him for more than a few days.

But that word desperatestuck with me.

I don't feel that it describes my desire for marriage at all. If I were desperate then I'd probably be putting more effort into it. Like any effort at all. On a scale of crazy cat lady to together forever, I'd say I'm giving crazy cat lady effort.

In the last almost year and a half I've only gone on dates with two different people. And that? Is what I call not trying.

What do you think about marriage? Am I crazy for wanting that? Does it make me desperate?
Do you too think Henry should STFU?

3 comments:

  1. I don't by any means think you're desperate! I think you desire the kind of relationship and commitment you get with your best friend that you marry! I know for certain you'll find someone amazing bc you are simply amazing! :) it is like what your mom says..it will happen when it happens and normally that is when you least expect it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al! It's great to know I'm not totally crazy!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous30.6.12

    I don't think you are desperate, I think you are so special, that God is still preparing the perfect man just for you. You will be the most amazing and wonderful wife and mother, you deserve only the best, you are the best.

    ReplyDelete